Conveniently located to serve Scottsdale, Phoenix, and Tucson
The tummy tuck is a surgical procedure used for body contouring. It is performed to shape the abdominal area. Patients looking for effective abdominal contouring often come to Deborah White, M.D. Plastic Surgery for a tummy tuck in Scottsdale.
What Is a Tummy Tuck?
Sometimes exercise is not enough to tighten loose abdominal muscles, especially after pregnancy or massive weight loss. If the skin around your tummy is loose and sagging, then a tummy tuck may be the best way to achieve a flatter, tighter midsection.
A tummy tuck, or abdominoplasty, is a cosmetic surgery designed to improve the shape of the tummy area. It involves removing excess loose skin and fat. In addition, it tightens the abdominal muscles and the remaining skin. In certain cases, this procedure can also result in the removal of stretch marks.
Ideal Candidates for a Tummy Tuck
Men and women who are generally healthy are excellent candidates for a tummy tuck procedure. Patients who are non-smokers and have a stable body weight are ideal candidates. Candidates should have no post-surgery healing issues.
Patients who have realistic expectations and are willing to commit to a healthy lifestyle are the best candidates and can enjoy lasting results.
Things to Consider Before Making a Decision
Before you decide to have a tummy tuck surgery, various factors must be taken into consideration:
- Weight-change or pregnancy plans – The results of a tummy tuck surgery are considered permanent. However, pregnancies and changes in weight (weight gain and weight loss) can disrupt the results and alter the appearance of your abdominal area. You may need to postpone the surgery until after these changes to ensure consistent results.
- Effect on stretch marks – The surgery has no effect on stretch marks, unless the stretch marks are on the excess skin that will be removed during the procedure.
- Smoking – Smoking can increase the likelihood of complications during abdominoplasty surgery and during recovery. It can also prolong the recovery period. Because of this, you must stop smoking for several weeks prior to your surgery date.
Dr. White will evaluate your situation and help you determine whether or not a tummy tuck is your best option. She will listen to your concerns and goals. She will also perform a physical exam and assess your medical records. Liposuction may be recommended as a complimentary procedure to enhance the results of a tummy tuck. The goal is to have a smooth, flat tummy that blends with the rest of the body.
A personalized surgical plan will be created, and Dr. White will discuss all the details with you. She will address any questions you may have and will give you instructions to prepare for the procedure.
Tummy Tuck Procedure Information
Abdominoplasty is usually performed under general anesthesia at the Piper Outpatient Surgical Facility in Scottsdale.
There are three types of tummy tucks, and Dr. White will explain each procedure and help you determine the surgery that is right for you:
- Standard Abdominoplasty – tightens all of the abdominal wall skin (standard scar)
- Mini Abdominoplasty -tightens the lower abdominal wall skin only (shortest scar) and is also called a mini tummy tuck
- Extended Abdominoplasty – tightens the abdomen and the flanks or sides (longest scar extending around the flanks onto lower back)
- Skin Only Abdominoplasty – this is for the occasional person who only has loose skin and no issues with the abdominal wall muscles (a very flat abdomen with only extra skin)
Tummy Tuck Recovery
With the exception of the Skin Only Abdominoplasty, surgeries where the muscle is tightened can be more uncomfortable than some other procedures, and therefore a least one day of skilled nursing care at the Virginia Piper Outpatient Surgical Facility is usually indicated. Early ambulation (evening of surgery) is extremely important to prevent problems with circulation. Walking several times a day is required. Heavy lifting and vigorous exercise can be resumed in approximately 6 weeks.
Complementary Plastic Surgery Procedures
Occasionally, if the abdominoplasty is being performed for medical reasons, the procedure may be partially covered by insurance. Usually, the patient is responsible for payment.
Tummy Tuck Surgery
The specific risks and the suitability of abdominoplasty can be determined only during your consultation with Scottsdale plastic surgeon Dr. White. All surgical procedures have some degree of risk, but major complications are unusual.
- View Tummy Tuck with Body Lift Before and After Photos
- View Tummy Tuck with Breast Enlargement Before and After Photos
- View Tummy Tuck with Breast Lift Before and After Photos
- View Male Tummy Tuck Before and After Photos
- Learn more about Tummy Tuck Plastic Surgery at the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery web site or the American Society of Plastic Surgeons web site.
How Much Does a Tummy Tuck Cost?
Abdominoplasty varies in cost depending on the exact details of each patient’s case. The price of a tummy tuck can be determined based on factors like the specific techniques employed and the total time needed to perform the surgery.
Contact Our Office
When sagging skin and excess fat become a problem and it’s time for a tummy tuck, Scottsdale patients can take the first step by getting in touch with our office. Schedule your consultation today.
Your Tummy Tuck procedure will be performed in Dr. White’s surgery center located in Scottsdale, AZ, just outside of Phoenix and Tucson